Take an excursion into the unexpected side of Florida, discover its 19th century history, wonderful countryside and its rich equestrian heritage. Florida is so much more than a relaxing costal destination, it boasts booming craft brewing businesses, historic state parks and activities you can’t get anywhere else. See our below list containing some of the most thrilling off-track excursions you can take in this amazing state:
- Visit the Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, encompassing a 21,000-acre savanna in Micanopy, Florida, just 10 miles south of Gainesville.
- Experience the evolution of north Florida by exploring the Dudley Farm Historic State Park in nearby Newberry, with staff in period costume, 19th century farming demonstrations and nature trails.
- Explore the Florida Everglades & Keys via airboat ride or guided kayak trip, just watch out for any local alligators.
- Pennekamp Coral Reef is a huge attraction, which you can explore by boat and/or snorkel and diving tours, as well as kayaking around the coast’s mangrove swamps.
- Explore up to 53 square miles of wetlands, prairies and woodlands at Myakka River State Park, 20 miles east and one of Florida’s oldest and largest state parks. There are a series of hiking trails, plus airboat rides and kayak and canoe rentals.
- Take the short trip out to City Island just off Sarasota and discover the Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium, a marine research centre with a variety of fascinating exhibits and sealife habitats.
- Take the short 9 mile drive to explore Amelia Island’s historic past at The Amelia Island Museum of History, with a rendition of a Timucuan village as well as stories of the Civil War and Florida railroad heritage.
Contact Our Experts
If you would like to find out more about our Florida Holidays then please contact a member of our team who will be happy to discuss your requirements in more detail and answer any questions you may have.