For the more active, hiking and walking are popular throughout the state, notably in the state parks and in places where the old railroad lines have been converted into paths, like the West Orange Trail in Orlando and the Withlacoochee State Trail in rural Citrus County. Equally, ziplines and rope courses are growing in popularity, and there are first-class opportunities at Orlando Tree Trek in Kissimmee and at Forever Florida, south of Kissimmee, which has a fully-fledged zipline park in highly rural country. If you like to mix a walk with some high-octane adventure, then Florida is the destination for you.
The Best State Park Hikes
Some of our favourite destinations for hiking in the state are listed below:
- Experience the evolution of north Florida by exploring the Dudley Farm Historic State Park in nearby Newberry, with staff in period costume, 19th century farming demonstrations and nature trails.
- Visit the Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, encompassing a 21,000-acre savanna in Micanopy, Florida, just 10 miles south of Gainesville.
- Visit Fort Clinch State Park, with its Civil War fort, which also boasts a fabulous beach. The park is located on a peninsula near the northernmost point of Amelia Island, along the Amelia River.
- Take a stroll through Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park, with its camellias and azaleas, dating back to 1923, just north of Tallahassee.
- Take a day trip to Peanut Island Park, featuring great snorkelling as well as 80 acres of tropical park with paved walkways, beach and water-sports. Be sure to bring a picnic as there are no food outlets on the island.
- Head north to Jonathan Dickinson State Park and take a day to explore Florida’s natural habitats and wildlife by paddling through the Loxahatchee River, with guided tours as well as canoe and kayak rentals.
Contact Our Experts
If you would like to find out more about our Florida Holidays then please contact a member of our team who will be happy to discuss your requirements in more detail and answer any questions you may have.